If you’ve ever wondered why or how custom software development is great for business, I’ve got answers for you.
Custom software development isn’t some buzzword or commodity reserved for large companies, organizations or NGO’s –it’s approachable, useful, and equitable for just about any type of business in many cases. However, not every business will benefit from custom software development, and this article is all about how to figure out if a custom software solution is ideal for your business.
If you’re a CEO you already know it’s a tightrope walk trying to balance the long-term growth of your company with its immediate needs. Choosing between them can be incredibly difficult, with all eyes on you –especially if you’re a new company or a tech startup.
The purpose of this article is to help C-level executives weigh the pros and cons of moving forward with a custom software development project.
How is Custom Software Development Useful for Businesses?
You’re busy, I get it. Here are some benefits of custom software development in point form to assess if it is right for you:
Small businesses aren’t the only ones who hate per-user software licensing fees; eliminate them altogether and have your own solution built. It’s easy to rationalise as the money you save is probably a fraction of your development cost over a 5 year period.
- Speed up or eliminate repetitive tasks through custom software automation, tailored around your business –most bloated, rigid, and expensive software solutions force you to bend your process to their solution.
- You can implement Single Sign On Solutions that enable secure access to thousands of cloud, mobile and on-premises applications from a single identity infrastructure. Learn more with Centrify.
- Eliminate the use of expensive, regularly used consumables like paper and printer toner by going paperless with web-based applications.
- Web-based applications can also enhance in-house security when put on a local intranet and unprintable information is less likely to walk out the door.
- Create something new if off-the-shelf software just doesn’t cut it –or it puts you in a league of your own over and above your competitors. Everyone loves a competitive advantage.
- Custom software discussions also provide a time for staff to discuss process and what’s working and what isn’t. Nothing digs deeper than a custom software development discussion –and a second set of eyes from a technical development team can do a lot of good asking questions and illuminating efficiencies that are possible which you may have never considered before.
- Custom software can also enhance integrations between solutions; integrate multiple systems with single sign on, or perhaps a connection between your CRM and your ERP software isn’t rock solid under your existing configuration –custom software can change that, and it can even upgrade chronologically updated data to a living, real-time connection.
- Custom software development also provides vendor options if you’re unsatisfied with, or locked into a relationship with an existing vendor. Re-evaluating the operating costs of your business is definitely a bonus when you can actually do something about it.
- Speed up reaction time between staff and their departments with custom workflow and custom tools designed specifically for their role.
- Shrink the learning curve; the creators of XYZ software package didn’t design their application with your business in mind. They designed it with thousands of businesses in mind. As a result, you’re going to have to train your employees to work like thousands of other businesses do (or are forced to). You can eliminate the learning curve and get more out of new employees, faster.
- You can add to your software as you go; your current solution provider isn’t going to make a personal call and ask if you need anything added to it. No, no. If anything they’re going to tell you what you need.
If you’re not sold on custom software yet, you must really not need it. If at least 3 of these reasons didn’t rub a little ointment on one of your many pain points then you don’t need custom software development. And that’s a good thing, the average business owner is frustrated or dissatisfied with off-the-shelf software. So, kudos!
Did I leave anything out? Let me know in the comments.
Photo Credit: Pixabay
I appreciate how you mentioned that custom intranet software allows you to speed up or eliminate repetitive tasks that don’t have to do with your business because the program is tailored to your company’s needs. My friend is thinking of starting his own company, but he isn’t sure how he’d efficiently manage all of the programs and products. I’m sure that if he did start his own company he’d benefit from a custom intranet software system to help his business run more smoothly, creating a software program that would perfectly fit his business needs. Thanks!
It is a nice post thanks for sharing information about Software Development. I have learnt a lot from this blog and working in the Software Development Company. You can also visit http://servicecorner.in/software-development/ for more details about Software Development.
This is a very nice post thanks for sharing information about software development. we are also dealing in software development you can visit http://servicecorner.in/software-development
thanks for providing useful information on custom software development