7 Simple Strategies for a Balanced Lifestyle


Finding any kind of balance in the modern world often feels extremely difficult, if not outright impossible. Work-life balance, a balanced diet, a balanced workout regime: all of these concepts seem to be well out of our reach. 

However, if you remember that equilibrium is a state you strive toward, and not one in which you permanently live, you may begin to find the task a bit less daunting. Here to help you are seven simple strategies for achieving a more balanced lifestyle. 

Make Better Diet Choices 

The key to a balanced diet is, contrary to popular belief, not giving up all the foods you enjoy eating. It’s eating healthy, whole, nutrient-dense foods 80% of the time, and eating whatever you want the remaining 20% of the time. 

This means you still get to enjoy the sweets and the snacks, but perhaps not every day. 

Calculate how many calories you need per day to achieve or maintain your goals, and then spread out your meals so they adhere to the 80/20 rule, either on a daily or a weekly basis. 

Find an Exercise Routine You Love 

Working out should be a staple part of your balanced lifestyle. However, it doesn’t need to involve spending hours in the gym or running around the block in all weather conditions. 

Working out should involve doing something you actually enjoy. It can mean taking a group dance class or hiking every weekend. It can mean playing a sport or doing yoga. 

Try out several different exercise options before you choose a routine you like. You may be surprised how much you enjoy an activity you’ve never tried before. 

Invest in Your Sleep 

Getting enough quality sleep may be the single most powerful strategy you can deploy for improving every aspect of your life. It will improve your physical and mental health, boost your mood, and help you implement the other strategies on our list. 

Start by investing in a better bed, a better mattress, and better bedding. Look for a mattress made without fiberglass that will be more comfortable. Buy quality pillows made of natural materials, like bamboo. Make sure both suit your specific sleep style: side sleepers and back sleepers need completely different mattresses and pillows. 

Drink More Water 

Most of us don’t drink enough water on a daily basis. Since dehydration impacts every process in our bodies and affects everything from the condition of our skin to our focus, simply upping your water intake can do wonders. 

Get yourself one of those “drink your water” apps if you need a reminder to take a sip, and carry a water bottle around everywhere. If you get bored with the taste of clean water, season it with mint, citruses, or other fruits. 

Reconsider Your Relationships 

The social aspect of your life can very easily throw it off balance if you let it. You may be inadvertently surrounding yourself with people who are draining your energy, saying “yes” when you would much rather be saying “no,” or running around trying to keep up on top of everyone’s needs. 

Take some time to evaluate all of your relationships, and then make the changes required to make your life more balanced: spend more time with the people who fill your cup and less time with those who drain it.

Schedule Time For Yourself 

Setting some time aside for self-care is incredibly important. It will help you de-stress and re-center, and if you choose your activities carefully, it can also significantly improve both your physical and mental health. 

Consider adding the following to your schedule:

  • A relaxing massage
  • A facial or other beauty treatment
  • A sauna session
  • A therapy session
  • Dinner with friends
  • A walk with a family member
  • Volunteering with kids or animals 

Turn Off All Devices 

Speaking of finding time for yourself, make a conscious decision to unplug and go offline at regular intervals. It can be every evening, on the weekend, or whenever you want and need to spend time in the real world. 

Social media and the internet in general can be very harmful, distracting, and overwhelming. Going offline can thus help you refocus and spend some time with your own thoughts and the people you love in person. It can also boost your productivity and creativity and make you feel less self-conscious and more confident. 

Wrapping Up 

Achieving balance in any area of your life can be challenging and time-consuming. However, as long as you know why you want to make a change and understand how it will benefit you, you will be able to reshape your life into whatever you’ve always dreamed it could be. 

Don’t forget: you will lose the balance often, but as long as you are working back towards it, you are headed in the right direction.

Leave a ReplyCancel reply