Insomnia is no joke. It won’t be an understatement to say that this condition is often painful for many. It’s also not uncommon for many people to try both natural and over the counter remedies to fight off this condition. Unfortunately, most of these efforts go in vain.
There’s good news though. It appears there might be hope after all for insomniacs around the world. CBD or cannabidiol could prove to be an effective, organic and natural way to get relief from episodes of sleepless nights.
What the research on CBD and Sleep Has To Say
Fortunately, some promising researches affirm the public’s faith in CBD as a potential treatment for insomnia, lack of sleep and other sleep issues. The effectiveness stems particularly from CBD’s highly calming effects on the central nervous system. As per this study, participants (Adults) who used cannabidiol were able to achieve regular healthy sleep within the first month of the research.
How CBD Helps With Insomnia?
Some experts feel that CBD and CBD products may avoid a certain chemical neurotransmitter from breaking down which affects emotional state, mental functioning and pain perception. This allows the brain to release sleep-promoting chemicals to travel through the bloodstreams leading to drowsiness.
According to World Health Organization, CBD, unlike THC, doesn’t cause the high and the entire range of psychoactive effects. Cannabidiol is supposed to aid in achieving that deep restorative sleep. In terms of a layman, this active ingredient coming from the cannabis plant works by calming the nervous system. This makes the person fall asleep and stay asleep so there are no disruptions even during sleep.
In even simpler terms, let’s just say that the way CBD works is by alleviating many of the conditions that complicate sleeping pattern/cycle. Stress, anxiety, and pain are some of those conditions. By calming the central nervous system, it helps let go of anxiety and stress. Even if you don’t have any of these conditions, you might still get better sleep quality from CBD. Cannabidiol interacts with receptors that control the body’s sleep/wake cycle.
Although many experts demand ‘more substantial and solid evidence’, the anecdotal evidence supporting CBD and its positive effects on sleep patterns are substantial and mounting every day.
Common CBD Products You Can Find
Interestingly enough, markets are flourishing with a variety of CBD products. They can range from oils to capsules, to sprays. Some of them are –
- Oral Spray – These can be a convenient and quick way to get CBD.
- CBD Drops – Also known as a tincture, you can use it orally with the help of a dropper. Or, you can take it with a high-fat snack.
- CBD Capsules – You can find CBD capsules in various strengths typically 10 mg.
- CBD Oil – This is one of the most versatile CBD products out there with myriad ways to consume it. You can take it orally or incorporate a few drops in your food.
Important Points To Remember Before Using CBD for Insomnia
Perhaps you exhausted other options in your attempt to manage insomnia with no fruition. But, before you turn to turn to CBD, you should know a couple of things. They are –
- It’s a tool directed at managing anxiety – The way cannabidiol works to fix sleep/wake cycle is by keeping anxiety at bay. By easing your anxiety, it automatically helps put you to rest.
- Consider the form of CBD – we already talked about the myriad forms in which CBD oil is available to the consumers. From oils to sprays, to capsules, you have a variety to choose from. Depending on the intake method, you would have to pick which form to go with. It’s also important to buy from a reliable vendor.
- It’s best to use it sporadically on a short-term basis – Over the course of prolonged usage, your body might develop some resistance to CBD’s effectiveness. Therefore, you might want to control the frequency of usage. You might notice the most effective results in the first month of usage, only to see them slowly begin to diminish. Therefore, to maintain the pace, it’s essential to give yourself a break before continuing its usage.
- Different dosage may work for different individuals – Since CBD is not regulated by the FDA, it’s hard to predict at what dosage you would get the effects you desired. Therefore, do monitor the effects linked with each dosage.
Like with any controlled substance, it’s important to exercise caution. CBD is considered safe for consumption, but researching your part can go a long way in reaping its benefits in a controlled and safe way.